Wednesday, May 20, 2009

I love days off

Today, I slept until 11:00AM, which is typical for a day off. Actually, it's slightly on the early side. I think I'll have to work on changing that eventually so I can actually have some modicum of energy when I begin clinicals. But, for the time being, I enjoy 11am wake up!

Other than that, didn't really do much today. I went to the laundromat to do my laundry, which I mostly despise, but there is one interesting character -- the laundromat worker. I'm not sure what his official job title is, but he's the guy who mops the floor, cleans up trash (the floor is usually filthy), and washes his car. I met him last time I was there when he approached me and asked, "is you a medical student." I guess he figure it out since the laundromat is right behind the hotel and something about me just doesn't look the same as everyone else there (I'm the wrong color). He then went on to talk for quite a while about how amazing of a black surgeon his father was, and how he probably could have also been a fantastic surgeon also if he didn't mind 15 years of school. Come to find out today, not only was his father the best black surgeon of his time, but he was also a special agent in the FBI, who ended a spree of hospital killing back in the day. Apparently, is father was quite the guy. That, or the man is delusional. Judging by the fact that this guy looks as if he's drank a good bottle or so of Vodka over the course of the day, I'm gonna go with delusional. He's friendly enough, but he likes to get a little too close into my personal space to tell me all of his fantastic stories.

Also today, out of nowhere, he decided to engage me in a religious debate. Seriously, out of nowhere, he came up to me and said, "you know, a lot of doctors don't believe in god." I said, "yup, I know." He really likes to talk to me for some reason, but I try just to smile and say, "yes, that's right, i'm sure." But then he said, "so, are you agnostic." I am not agnostic, I'm atheist, so I told him that. Then he said that I probably wasn't as smart as he originally thought I was. I assured him I was and he said, "OK then, if you're so smart, answer me this: The world is 360 degrees around, and lightning only strikes one little area, so where does it happen that way at once and why." Now, I had trouble understanding what he was asking me, but foolishly, I attempted to give him the best answer I could; I said it strikes wherever the disturbance in the atmosphere occurs. WRONG!! It occurs everywhere! Yeah, I know, neither the question nor the answer make sense, but it is what it is.

Then, to further prove my medical incompetence, as if the lightning question didn't do it enough, he asked what I'd do if someone's appendix burst. I said that I'd probably cut them open somewhere along McBurney's point, from pelvic crest to the belly button, remove the appendix, clean as much as I could, and then start them on antibiotics. WRONG AGAIN! According to him, and he knows because he has seen many, I should have cut them in a line parallel to their pelvis, and no need for antibiotics. Perhaps god will make the infection go away, and fix the blood vessels that you'd likely sever?

Finally, he told me that he'd never let me operate on him since I didn't believe in god. He told me he could see into my soul. But, although I have my thoughts on him, he makes me laugh, so I didn't want to leave with him pissed. I told him to be careful that he didn't get lost, because my soul is pretty dark! He laughed, I laughed, and we left as friends. OK, we're not friends, but I gave him a laugh before I left, which was good, and he did say, "see you later doc," as I got in the car. That made me smile a little.

No comments: