Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Falcon USMLE Review Day 2

Sorry for the short post yesterday. Falcon is going pretty well so far though, although it's hard to judge after only two days. As promised, the shuttle was at the airport waiting for us when we arrived. It was a large charter bus, which I was not expecting, but I guess they were expected a lot of people. There are about 120 people in the Step 1 class, as well as a bunch more in the Step 2 class. It doesn't seem crowded though, maybe because I'm used to my classes being about that size in school.

The first night was just a quick orientation on study skills, the hotel, and then a quick mixer (which I opted out of). The hotel room is pretty nice. I was actually pleasantly surprised. At least for the single rooms, which I'm in, there is a king size Sleep Number bed, a desk with a large leather chair, microwave, and a small refrigerator/freezer. I've slept better here than I have in any hotel before. Since we're staying for so long, they don't give us the little hotel shampoos after you use up the first bunch, but I'd rather use my own anyway. They do come to clean every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, and do the rest of the stuff hotel housekeeping would usually do. The hotel also runs a shuttle for us a couple times a day which goes to the Super Walmart, the gym, the mall, and a few other places.

The first day of class was the first of only three days of anatomy. We don't have a long time to review an awful lot of stuff, but that's how it goes in review courses! Falcon is actually the longest of the 3 (Kaplan, Falcon, Pass) though and most people only study on their own for about that long, so I have no doubt we'll cover everything we need to. The anatomy guy is honestly less than amazing, but then again, it's kind of difficult to lecture anatomy. You basically just need to memorize it. The notes they give us have most of the important clinicals considerations highlighted though. The first day was all of upper and lower extremity, today was chest, abdomen, and pelvis, tomorrow is the rest. It's a TON of studying, but hopefully it will pay off when I take the step!

Speaking of studying, they do have their own method. Basically, we're supposed to go to class (obviously), read the notes right after class, and then read the notes, slide by slide, out loud into a voice recorder. Then, take a break before going back to listen to your notes while reading along. This way, you've been exposed to the information at least 3 times, and recording and listening forces you to pay complete attention to studying and not let your brain wander. It sounds a little silly, but it does make sense and I've heard it works. One guy in the step 2 program is from AUC and took the Step 1 course last year. Although he didn't start out with a great score coming in, he would up with a 50 point improvement! Falcon averages 20-40 points, but if I can get 50, I'll definitely be good to go. Even 40 would be nice!

The food is the only thing that's a little disappointing. The lunches have been pretty good, but the breakfast was pretty sad the last two days. So, instead, I've gone to WalMart and bought some cereal and fruit, which seems much better to start the day than fruit from a can and eggs from a box! Eggs are supposed to come in shells, not cardboard.

No comments: