Friday, May 22, 2009

good things for Falcon people

Well Falcon said at the beginning of the course that they couldn't guarantee that they wouldn't ever make any mistakes, but that they would fix any they did make. It seems that they're actually coming through with that promise. As I mentioned, the cardio guy was awful and half the class (including myself) left after the first two hours. Apparently, there were a lot of complaints about him, so they're brining in another cardio guy (the guy who wrote the original notes, who is apparently very good) to lecture us this Monday. Unfortunately, that means we lose a day off if we choose to go, but since I basically took the day off for the last cardio guy, I guess it's fair enough. Also, for people who don't want to go to the lecture, they're giving us access to that portion of the online program, which is also the instructor that they're brining in Monday. Since the second half is mostly EKG, I'll probably go to the class Monday morning, and then skip the EKG section. I taught EKG at AUC and have been reading them for years, so I don't think I'd get that much out of it.

Also, Elsevier (the publishing company that publishes a HUGE number of USMLE review and med school books), in conjunction with Falcon, has given us FREE access to their new USMLE step-1 Q-Bank!! I looked through it for a few minutes last night and did a few questions, and it looks like it will be very nice! It's got the exact same setup as the actual USMLE (as does USMLEWorld), but actually has more questions than USMLEWorld (there are about 2,700). The test bank is being endorsed by Dr. Goljan, which can't be a bad thing. From what I've seen, it's really very similar to USMLEWorld. There is one addition though, which is that after each question, along with the answer explanations, they give you a little high yield snippit from one of their many review books. I'll give a better review of it once I do more of the questions. Also included with the subscription is a 150-question practice test, which is supposed to tell you how you're going to do on the step. The web address, if you wanna check it out, is usmleconsult.com.

My allergies are continuing to suck a lot, for those interested, but I have began taking phenylephrine today, which is helping a good bit. Unfortunately, it only lasts for 4 hours, and I forgot to take the second dose, so I'm currently waiting for it to kick in again, which should happen in about 15 minutes or so. Tonight, Brian's wife Melinda is coming into Dallas for dinner and to bring me chocolate chip cookies. I told her that when I'm a surgeon, I am not doing pro-bono surgery, but I will operate for cookies :)

No comments: