Saturday, February 2, 2008

Immuno, Physio, and MCB

Those are the three main classes that we have this semester (we have ICM for about 8 days during the semester, and biostats for 4 weeks, which is about to end). The block is quickly approaching, so I thought now would be a good time to give a pre-block assessment on how things are going so far.

We have MCB first. I seem to do well in this class, but I really don't find it very interesting at all. It's mostly just memorization of a ton of pathways. But, as I've said in previous posts, it is becoming a little more clinical and thus, a little more interesting. I'm thinking I'll probably be able to pull off an A on the exam. But, this coming block exam covers almost twice as much information as any block last semester. So, we'll see how I do with this volume of information.

Immuno is the second class of the day. We have already had three professors in this class, who rotate topics, and I believe another is soon to come. I've decided that I think that the Immuno guy from the South Carolina medical school is better than any of the three we've had. So, to study, I've been looking at their notes, but listening to his lectures. I did well on the first quiz doing that and hopefully it will continue to work for the exam. Overall, I haven't found the material terribly challenging. It might just be because we have three different professors so far, but there seems to be a lot of overlap in the material. That's nice though because it helps tie everything together

Finally, we've got physio. Everyone in the class was complaining because he gave us PDF files instead of powerpoints, but I actually like the PDFs better. Of course, just when I start to like his PDFs, he switches over to powerpoint, to make everyone happy. However, he is apparently not aware that the internet is really very large and can hold very big files, so he doesn't think he can put them on the notes drive for everyone else to get a copy of. He is, of course, wrong. But, for the time being, we do not get copies of his powerpoints. Anyway, I think the class is just about to get interesting. We just finished action potentials, and man did we spend a lot of time going over them! I'm pretty confident that I am good with the action potential stuff. Now we're doing muscle, and I think cardio physio is coming up soon. I've heard it's difficult, but I think it will be interesting. Interestingly (and fortunately for many people in my class), physio is the only class that treats us as adults and does not take attendance. If you do decide to go to class though, you have plenty of room to spread out while you play web boggle....i mean...pay attention to the lectures. ;) He writes the hardest exams, so far, but I think I'll be able to pull of a decent grade in there too.

No comments: