Wednesday, January 30, 2008

New happenings around school

Today, the AUC security guards have decided that they are going to begin checking IDs at the gate. If you don't have your ID with you, you're sent back home to get it. Today, there was a line of cars waiting to get in. Fortunately, since I rode my scooter today, I just drove around them (I really love that scooter!). But, since most people don't carry their ID around, since we've never been checked before, there were a lot of people sent home. I'll try to get a picture if there's a line tomorrow.

I think this is the product of everyone complaining about a few incidents on the island lately. Apparently, there has been somewhat of an increase in crime around here lately. But, NONE OF IT was on AUC's campus. AUC's campus has always been safe and I've never heard of a single incident. So, in true St. Maarten fashion, they have implemented a security measure which will likely do nothing. I really don't think that the muggers on the golf course are gonna care that they're checking ID's at the school gate. If anyone actually thought that all of their complaining would bring about a change in the police presence, they were sadly mistaken. So, instead of making anything better, it just made things more inconvenient.

On a more positive note, we had our second MCB quiz today. Barring any stupid mistakes on my part, I probably got a 100% on it. But, I don't know how much of an accomplishment that is since the quizzes have definitely been easier this semester. But, easier in a good way, hopefully not a way that will harm our Step I scores. On the tests now, there are a ton of clinical questions. So, we still have to know all of the various enzymes which are defective in a bunch of diseases, but at least they're not questions of minutia anymore, which weren't helping anyone anyway. It makes learning it a lot more interesting. So maybe, they're not easier, I just like it better?

Finally, BioStats is nearly over, and I can't wait!! Pretty sure she could have gotten through all of the biostats in a week or two if we didn't move so slowly. But, to be fair, I have had stats before. So, it may be a little harder if it was brand new. In any case, starting next week, Monday is the only day that we won't be out of here at 11:20. That will give plenty of time to get home, go to the pool, catch up on some TV, and still have lots of study time. :)

No comments: