Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Good news for my paramedic certification

I just found out today for sure that medical school counts to fulfill National Registry requirements for paramedic re-certification. I had a feeling that it would, but hadn't heard the official word from The Registry until today. In any case, I had to send the syllabi to the county medical director and he wrote a letter stating that medical school exceeded National Registry requirements. Now, I just need to get copies of all of my cards and send them into the Fire Rescue Academy to be sent to Registry.

I was pretty worried about that because I obviously don't have time to take a 36 hour refresher class and do an additional 36 hours of continuing education credits while I'm in school. So, if this didn't come through, after 6 years, I would have lost my certification. And, although docs know an awful lot more than a paramedic, they can't ride the ambulance unless they maintain a paramedic certification (since docs don't do much splinting, back-boarding, etc.). But now it looks as though I'll be able to keep it up as long as I want, as long as I send in the paper work every 2 years. No matter how busy I get, I don't have any plans to stop hanging out at the firehouse anytime soon!

No comments: