Monday, January 28, 2008

False Advertising!!


Today, I got my new license plates. It's one of St. Maarten's many absurd rules that every January, you must pay about $170 to renew your plates. What I really don't like about it is that they don't care when you actually got your plates, you just have to pay every January. So, I just got my first set of plates (and paid about $170) in September, and now, I had to do it all over again!! Fortunately, the folks from Nagico insurance come to the school, collect your money (along with a small convenience fee, of course), and bring you your plates a couple of days later. This saves the hassle of driving into Phillipsburg and dealing with the hellacious St. Maarten DMV. I can only imagine what that place is like now with the whole island trying to get new plates!

In any case, I think it's about time that they take the phrase, "The Friendly Island," off of the license plates. It really is false advertising. Considering all of the problems that AUC students have been having lately, I would say that this place is hardly the friendly island. If they want to be a little more accurate, perhaps they could consider, "St. Maarten, the slow, inefficient, lazy, uncaring, unproductive, not even always safe in the daytime island." That sort of sounds like a NyQuil commercial, but it's true!

Gotta say though, I kinda like the blue color. It goes nicely with the silver car. :)

No comments: