Thursday, January 17, 2008

Minor Details

Unfortunately, I don't have much of anything exciting to post at the moment, but I didn't want to let my blog go any longer without an update, so here it is.

Heather got her wisdom teeth removed today. I feel bad for her because I know she's in a ton of pain. I really wish I could be there, but I guess that comforting her on the phone is all I can really do for now, until she comes to visit for Valentine's Day, less than a month now!!

We've had three quizzes so far in 2nd semester. AUC has gone and screwed up the block schedule pretty badly. Now, instead of a block every 3 weeks, we have them every 5 or so. Most of the teachers, and all of the students, are against this idea. To compensate, the teachers have decided to give us a bunch of quizzes, so that we don't go 5 weeks without any idea of how we're doing. Problem is, they're only a couple questions long. So, while they're not worth much, if you get one or two wrong, it looks like you got a very bad grade! I didn't do terrible on the ones we've had, but not as well as I would have liked. Mostly though, I just made a couple stupid mistakes because I was rushing through them. So hopefully, when the exam comes around, I'll be able to do well. Live and learn, I suppose. I do think I did pretty well on the MCB quiz today though, which was the longest of the 3 (almost twice as long).

My loan check is lost in the mail, or at least that's what I'm saying until proven otherwise! I sent it home via priority mail almost two weeks ago, and it still hasn't arrived. Supposedly, it was FedEx'ed back to the states, and then dropped in the Miami mail, so it should have made it home a while ago. If it doesn't get there soon, I'm probably going to have to figure out how to get it reissued, which I can pretty much guarantee will not be an easy or quick process. I'm crossing my fingers and toes that it shows up soon.

Well I guess that's about it for now. I should probably get back to studying some immunology. Next post, I'll try to have some pictures.

4 comments:

Trixie the Pixie said...

What is up with this "quiz" business? I heard physio II also has the same thing now. How much do they count toward your final grade? I guess it is a good way of seeing how well you are staying on top of the material... but it sort of defeats the purpose of the Path schedule that they initiated my 3rd semester, with the whole 7 weeks of material on an exam that is worth almost half your grade thing. (I think it was supposed to make us study every day, rather than cramming a few days before the exam, which most of us ended up doing, regardless)

It seems like they can't make up their minds about the best approach to testing. Oh, AUC... how I will miss you!

Happy Friday and have a great weekend! I'm off to take a 4 hr exam that will tell me what I already know: I NEED TO STUDY.

Haha :)

Scott said...

The quizzes are worth like 10-15% of the final grade, not too much. Apparently, some teachers though it was better to give only two tests / semester, to make us not memorize, and others thought that it made no difference. So, this was the compromise. Haven't met a single teacher though who likes this schedule. Why aren't you at AUC? I just saw you!

Trixie the Pixie said...

Ya, I'm here!! I meant I'll miss AUC so much when I leave (I think it's like 80 days).

Anyway... have a good weekend! I know I deserve one, that comp was AWFUL.

Trixie the Pixie said...

P.S. In the old days, when cell bio was still around, they gave us quizzes every 2 weeks. It sucked. They were almost always less than 20 questions, so people ended up not doing that great in the class overall. The whole class was 7 quizzes and a cumulative final... I suppose MCB II is a little better... or, I would hope so for you guys!