Saturday, June 6, 2009

Jealousy!

It took me a long time to finally decide that I wanted to be a doctor. Well, I always wanted to be a doctor...but it took me a long time to decide that I was willing to go through the necessary work to get there. However, I made the decision mostly because of my time as a paramedic. I wrote in my personal statement, on my med school application, that I wanted to go to med school because being a paramedic left me constantly wanting more. I hated that most of the time, I never really knew exactly what was going on with the patient. Sure, I may know that they're most likely having a heart attack, and that I was going to give them nitro, aspirin, and maybe morphine, but that was about it. And, what bothered me even more was that no matter what I did, I was always going to have to hand them over to someone else (a doctor) to actually fix them.

That's probably why I want to be a surgeon; I want to actually go in and fix people. I can't imagine that I'd enjoy figuring out the diagnosis, but then handing them over to the surgeon for the repair. I'm going to keep an open mind going into clinicals, but I'd say there's about a 95% chance that I'm going to wind up a surgeon. At the moment, Trixie the Pixie, the caffeine junky (yes, that's her real name...the whole thing) is going through her surgical core rotation, and has decided that she now wants to be a surgeon. I know that my time is coming up in a few months, but for the time being, I could not be more jealous of the stuff she's doing and the experiences she's having. You should definitely check out her blog, which is linked on the right side.

I'm hoping she lands a kick ass surgical residency spot, and then can put in a good word for me ;)

2 comments:

Trixie the Pixie said...

Ahaha. Thanks, Scott! Believe it or not, you'll get there sooner than you think -- it goes by so fast. And, wasn't it you who wanted stories from my surgery rotation everyday? :) Surgery is pretty amazing, though. Don't worry, it'll be your turn soon!

Trixie the Pixie said...

Oh, and I definitely would feel the same way about a patient -- I'd want to fix the heart attack too! Like, I would want to give the aspirin and nitro, but then I'd want to get in there and cath the damn thing ;)