Thursday, March 5, 2009

Just a bad two days

If you were to think of all of the possible things that could go wrong the day before the first comp exam, I think you'd have to put having an 18 hour power outage right at the top of that list! Yesterday, we lost power at about 3:00 PM. Despite numerous calls to the landlord, at around 11:30 PM, I was finally notified that the power company just decided to call it a night, and that they wouldn't be coming to check out our place until sometime in the morning. So, I attempted to sleep, on top of my covers, in the heat and humidity. It didn't work very well, due to a combination of the heat, and my being very pissed off at things that could only happen here.

After the power finally came on (at around 10:00 AM), I jumped in the shower and headed off for school to take the exam. 200 questions and about 3 hours later, I was done, but just about 100% certain that I failed miserably. The exam was actually not as bad as I had expected it to be, it was just that we've really had no time to study. So, even though the questions weren't particularly difficult and I think the basic science faculty has done a great job preparing us, I just couldn't remember most of it. This seems to be the overwhelming consensus amongst those I've talked to in the class...that the exam wasn't necessarily hard, but nobody had the appropriate time to study for it.

Just a few minutes ago, I walked into my bathroom, to find it completely flooded. Eventually, I figured out that the plastic pipe that fills the reservoir had sprung a leak, so now I have to turn it off and just hope that a semi-competent plumber can make it out tomorrow.

FYI: behavioral science was just as low yield as I have suspected. Out of 200 questions, about 3 were behavioral science, and they were questions that you probably could have answered without ever having taken the class. But, they did probably raise my grade slightly.

Well at least tomorrow can't be any worse (I hope). It will at least be nice to sleep tonight in air conditioning.

2 comments:

Trixie the Pixie said...

I can't remember if I left a comment or not. Hmm. I might be insane. Slightly.

Well, I was going to say... I felt the same way coming out of it, but I ended up passing the comp the first time around. I was surprised, to say the very least! So, who knows? Maybe you did just fine!

Also, one time, my shower broke. As in, the water wouldn't turn off. I had to wait for 2 days for someone to show up and fix it. Actually, someone DID come, but then said, um, I don't have the right equipment... and LEFT THE WATER RUNNING. Just like that. On the bright side, I got to listen to the soothing sounds of a running shower as I was trying to sleep at night.

Don't worry, they fixed it so that it wouldn't charge me extra on the water bill. (At least that's the part they got right the first time). Oh, SXM. How I sometimes don't really miss you at all!

Scott said...

hahaha..well thanks for the positive outlook! However, I can pretty much assure you that I did not pass the comp. Your semester actually had the first part of fifth semester to study. We had class up until a week before. I guess stranger things have happened, but I just don't see this being one of them.

I really don't get mad about island things anymore. I strongly dislike the place (to be politically correct), but I've just accepted that they are the way they are and I"m not going to change them. Now, I just try and laugh about it. One thing is for sure...i won't take anything for granted anymore once I'm back home.