Monday, March 9, 2009

Antibiotics for everyone!

I went to the local doctor's office today just to make sure that my diagnosis of my throat was correct. Turned out to be a huge waste of $25 and my morning. The doctor took one look at my throat and said, "It might be viral, but it my be strep, so we should just give you antibiotics." He said that by the time we got the results of a culture, the antibiotics would be done, so might as well just give them. I asked about a rapid strep test, but apparently, they don't do that here. Aside from the fact that my symptoms and throat shouldn't really lead someone to believe I had a bacterial infection, I am definitely pretty sure that you're not supposed to just throw antibiotics around, particularly when they're likely unnecessary.

So, since I didn't trust the doctor, I asked my ICM professor (who's also an MD) to take a look. He said he was pretty sure that it was not bacterial. But, just to be certain, I asked my med micro teacher to take a look. She took about half a second to look at my throat and say, "oh look at that, that's definitely coxsackie, that's not bacterial." I should have just gone to the med micro teacher first. I don't know why I even bother with the local physician anymore.

2 comments:

Trixie the Pixie said...

So, I don't know why I found this story so funny, but I did. As in, laugh out loud funny.

Have you done your day of clinic yet? It's a riot, trust me.

Scott said...

Fortunately, I got out of the clinic day due to scheduling conflicts. Instead, I spent a couple hours in the SXM ER. I can only imagine what it must be like though! I almost want to buy him a subscription to UpToDate, so he can become....up to date!