Wednesday, December 2, 2009

surgery is awesome!

I know I still have yet to do my surgery core, but I'm pretty certain that it's what I'm going to go into. Yesterday, an ENT let me go in with him to two of his surgeries...a tympanoplasty and a neck resection. So, I got to spend about 6 hours in the OR, which made me very happy! The surgeries were both very different and very interesting to watch. The tympanoplasty essentially involved cutting most of the guy's ear off from behind, and then fixing the ear drum through that hole. The neck resection involved cutting open a guy's neck and then removing the submandibular gland and nearby lymph nodes....very cool stuff! The attending that took me and his residents were all very friendly and willing to answer any questions. Fortunately, I read about the cases the night before, because they also did just a little pimping. 3 months cannot come fast enough! But, I'm still a little excited to start IM.

I also found out yesterday that heather tried to have Target print a picture that I had taken and edited for a gift. They declined it saying they believed it was a professional picture with copyright. I'm kind of happy about that.

No comments: