Monday, December 7, 2009

Well, that wasn't so bad

The first day of IM went OK. Given, it was just orientation, but could have been much worse. Turns out, I overestimated (rather, was given wrong information) on how often I'll be working late. Actually, I'll only be there late once every 4 days, and even that is only until around 8PM. My senior resident seems to think that on most days, we'll be out around 4. Still a long day, considering we have to be there around 6:30, but not awful. I'm also not sure what's going on with holidays. Unfortunately, and for absolutely no good reason that I cant think of, students currently have to work either Christmas or New Years. There's really no good reason for this, but fortunately one of the senior residents agrees, and is working on having it changed. I'm not holding my breath for the change to happen, but it would be nice. It was also nice to see that of all the senior residents we heard from today, all felt that it was a medical student's job to learn, not to be scutted out all day. We do have to update the patient information every morning, which is basically scut work, but it shouldn't be that bad. Like the other rotations that I've completed, it seems like for the first week or two, I'll just be figuring things out as I go.

One exciting piece of news...I got a pager today! Well, it's not really that exciting and I'll probably wind up hating the thing, but I like it at the moment. Since no one in the world except doctors use pagers anymore, it makes me feel very doctor-ish. I've also ordered a new lab coat (without AUC's logo) and some books to go in the lab coat, so that's even more doctor looking. In less than 2 years, I won't have to pretend anymore...that will be nice.

2 comments:

Trixie the Pixie said...

That's why you should always go to a trusted source for information! :) IM hours aren't bad at all... and you'll actually learn something. Who are the people on your team and do you know your service attending for the month?

Unknown said...

HAHAHA! I couldn't wait to get rid of my pager at the hospital.....can't believe you're excited to have one!