Sunday, February 15, 2009

St. Maarten ER rotation

I had my ER rotation today at the St. Maarten hospital. It wasn't quite as interesting as the OR clinical, but that may owe a lot to the fact that I've spent years in the ER already and not much here was going to surprise me. The ER here consists of 3 rooms plus a cast room. One of the rooms is fairly large (about the size of a typical US code room), but the other two are barely larger than two hospital beds side by side. It's staffed by one doctor, two nurses, and a registration person. If they need any kind of imaging, they call someone in to do it. Apparently they don't see too many really sick people, since the doctor said she probably only intubates once a year.

Speaking of the doctor, she was very friendly and tried to teach as much as she could. There really wasn't very much coming into the ER to teach on today though. I was very impressed to find out that she speaks 6 languages! Unfortunately, this meant that for about half the time, I couldn't understand what she was saying. But, she usually translated it for me later. We also had two parents bring their child in to the ER, who had a seizure while they were on the beach. Turns out, they are on vacation from Maryland! Too bad that he had a seizure less than 24 hours after arriving on the island! My professional med student opinion is that he'll be fine in the morning.

No comments: