Tuesday, February 3, 2009

3/4 done pharm, also

Pharm doesn't really bother me, so I guess that's why I didn't mention it yesterday. Turns out, I did very well on that exam, but my grades were approximately equal to the amount of studying I did in each class. I studied enough in pharm to deserve an A, and I got it. Really, passing behavioral was probably more than I deserved. I actually kind of like pharm, which is good because it's one of the more important classes and definitely relevant to clinical practice. I particularly liked the last section on cardio though.

Of all the sections we've had, cardio is the one that most related to my experience as a paramedic (since a good number of our drugs are cardiac drugs). Antibiotics are important for physicians, but paramedics don't give antibiotics. However, in cardiac pharm, there were a ton of times that I found myself saying, "oh, so that's why I did (or didn't) do that!" I also finally realized that when on-line medical control turns paramedics down for drugs, they're not always just being jerks. Sometimes they definitely are, but not always.

1 comment:

Trixie the Pixie said...

I liked pharm a lot too, but the only issue is that they tell us we don't need to know trade names -- and, they use them pretty often in the hospital! So, it's good to know those as well so you're not spending your first few weeks relying on Epocrates every 5 seconds :-P

(Oh, Epocrates is also pretty amazing too, along with uptodate!)