Thursday, February 19, 2009

Daily amusement

I went to The Mailbox today to pick up a book that I ordered about a week ago. I knew that it arrived in Miami last Wednesday or Thursday, so definitely would be in St. Maarten by now. When I got to The Mailbox, they told me that I did have mail, and it cost $4.50 to pick up. The following is the conversation that followed (it's worth reading...just stay with me for a minute):

Mailbox lady: Is your name Alan Levitt (she had just seen my real name on the paper)?
Me: No, it's SCOTT Levitt
Mailbox lady: OK, well we only have mail for Alan Levitt
Me: Can I see it?
Mailbox lady: [hands me the mail, one letter says Alan Levitt and is clearly not mine, the other two letters are mine]
Me: Well, these two are obviously mine, the Soap Opera Digest is definitely not, but I also have a package in the back
Mailbox lady: It says the package is for Alan Levitt
Me: I know, but I'm certain that the package is for me. Since some things were clearly mislabeled, can you please check?
Mailbox lady: The package is for Alan Levitt
Me: I understand that it says Alan Levitt on the form that you guys filled out, but can you please just check to make sure
Mailbox lady: [Returns with my package from Amazon, clearly labeled "Scott Levitt" on the shipping address, but "Alan Levitt" marked on the form that they had filled out and taped to it]
Me: Thanks for checking, that's exactly what I was waiting for
Mailbox lady: This says it is for Alan Levitt
Me: No, the slip of paper which you guys filled out says Alan Levitt, but the shipping label says "Scott Levitt," that's definitely my package
Mailbox lady: But our label says Alan Levitt, so it might not be yours
Me: Again, if you look at the shipping label, which was typed and affixed to the box by Amazon, it clearly shows that it's my package. It looks like you guys just made an error when you filled out the slip
Mailbox lady: I don't know, it says Alan Levitt


Fortunately, the owner came over when she heard this going on and quickly corrected the situation. She said that since they have no Alan Levitt in their system, they just put it under my name, which is the closest they could find. Trying to think about what must have been going through Mailbox Lady's head really just gives me a terrible headache. Sometimes, I'm not sure how people remember to breathe.

4 comments:

Trixie the Pixie said...

HAHA. Oh, how I love SXM.

Unknown said...

I'm glad I was there in person to witness this catastrophe!!

Lacey and Kevin - Island Life on St. Maarten said...

Was it the African American lady who always has an attitude there?

Scott said...

It was an african american lady, but not the one that I've always seen with an attitude. I think this one was new.