Monday, February 2, 2009

3/4 done Behavioral Science!

There is no class that I will be more excited to have finished than behavioral science. It's one of the easier classes (I'd only count it as a half class, as far as difficulty goes), but it's just a really annoying class. I do not like questions with subjective answers! Particularly when the correct answer is something that I would not actually ever say to a patient. For example, I would never encourage a patient to see an "empacho" doctor. In my humble opinion, there are some things that may be both culturally sensitive, but medically dangerous. Steve Jobs is the perfect example of this.

I do not believe in any religion, but I do believe in Apple. In fact, my occasionally blind love of all things Apple could almost be considered religious. So, if Apple were my religion, Steve Jobs would be God. But, even Steve Jobs proved that he is not perfect. When he was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, he decided that he did not need traditional treatment (surgery, chemo, etc.) and wanted to do things the natural way. Not surprisingly, that did not work too well for him and a few months later, surgery happened. If he would have followed the doctors advice, he could have avoided a couple months worth of cancer growth. If I can keep my patients away from their "empacho doctor," I can probably help them avoid a few extra days or weeks of GI problems. Isn't it kind of the job of a physician to help people avoid pain and sickness?

P.S. - despite my disdain for the class, I still managed to pass ;)

No comments: