Saturday, January 17, 2009

WhiBal - something every photographer should own!

whibal_pk_main-9632_300.jpg
I recently purchased the WhiBal to improve the White Balance of my photos. I was not sure how good of a job it would do, but I can now tell you that the tiny little grey card that is the WhiBal, is pretty damn amazing! According to the manufacturer, every WhiBal that goes out the door is individually measured with a spectrophotometer, to assure that they are perfectly neutral.
To use it, you just snap a picture with the WhiBal in it (you can either hand-hold it, or have someone hold it for you), and then take the rest of the pictures as usual. When you get back to your photo editing software (I use Adobe Lightroom), you just select the appropriate tool (it's the eyedropper in the develop module of Lightroom), and click on the grey card. Then, you apply those white balance settings to the rest of the pictures.
Below, I took a sample picture, so you can see how well the thing works. The first picture is just a regular shot from the camera on program mode, with auto white balance turned on. As you can see, it doesn't do a great job with the energy saver bulb that I've got in my room, and gives everything a horrible yellow cast. The second picture is just a duplicate of the first, with the white balance settings from the WhiBal. The fix literally took about 3 seconds in Lightroom, but the difference is night and day. I did not make any other changes to the picture, except the white balance settings copied straight from the WhiBal picture.
IMG_0445.jpg
IMG_0445-2.jpg
The WhiBal can be purchased here

2 comments:

Vince said...

It seems you forgot to engage the 'masculine' filter in the above photos because there is a "cute widdle teddy bear" shadow on the bed. ;-)

Cool product!

Scott said...

Sometimes I've gotta do things to make the girlfriend happy!!