Monday, January 12, 2009

I may have forgotten more than you've learned...

I just took the Kaplan diagnostic and I learned two things from it:

1. AUC does a good job of presenting the information that you'll need for the USMLE
2. I have an awful lot of studying and re-learning ahead of me!

There were maybe 1 or 2 questions on the diagnostic, out of 150, that I did not remember ever hearing about. Everything else, I know that I was taught at some point, but I just don't remember it right now. According to Kaplan, biochem is BY FAR my weakest subject, with pharm and anatomy not far behind. However, even though we've only had about half of pharm, I got a 45% on the section, so I don't really feel too bad about that. Biochem and anatomy were also first semester, so it's been a long time (over a year) since I've looked at that stuff at all. I'm surprised how well I did in micro, but I think that's the product of lucky guessing. I've got a lot to review in path, but there are just so many little details to differentiate between many diseases, so I think that Kaplan can help a lot with refreshing my memory on those things.

Kaplan says that I should spend between 3-4 months studying, based on my performance on the diagnostic. I've got 3 months to study at AUC, and then I'm taking a 7 week intensive Falcon review course (which they're definitely not factoring into their equation), so I ought to be good to go!

Note: The title is, of course, assuming that you are not a 5th semester student or above!

No comments: