Tuesday, January 27, 2009

things you give up as a med student

is_exam_080422_mn.jpgA couple weeks back, a firefighter from Cleveland contacted me. He's been reading my blog for a while (so he'll likely eventually come across this) and wanted to buy a fellow firefighter a drink. I just got word from him that he'll be arriving in St. Maarten shortly. Not only did he keep up his drink offer, but also offered to take my girlfriend and I on a dinner cruise! Unfortunately, I cannot accept that offer. The reason? Well, when the boat leaves at around 5:30 PM, I will be performing a rectal exam on some man who actually is flying from the US, explicitly to allow students to practice rectal exams! While that's a skill that I hope to very rarely have to use, it's an important one to learn. But, couldn't I learn it when I'm not invited on a dinner cruise? I could have gone the night before, but that night I'll also be performing a rectal exam, along with a female pelvic exam, on a different patient.

There are a lot of people that can't wait to get started in medical school, and usually I am very happy to be here. But, if that is not proof that medical school is far from glamorous, I don't know what is.

1 comment:

Heather Nicole said...

ahem! why wasn't your girlfriend then invited by her boyfriend on this dinner cruise? love how a man can change his exam for dinner, but not to pick his gf up from the airport! i prob get in too lte to go on the cruise tho =( dont mind too much since the thought of a boat makes me nauseous.......