Thursday, January 15, 2009

My first O2 sensor!

Two major things happened today
1. a USAir flight crashed into the Hudson River
2. I bought my first O2 sensor for my car.

First, my car, since that happened first in the day. My check engine light has been on for a little while and I finally had time to check it out today. Toyota wanted to charge me $100 just to hook the computer up to a little machine that tells you what's wrong. The device can be bought for about $80 online and takes all of 30 seconds to hook up and use. Fortunately, I didn't take my car to the dealership, and took it to another shop that did it for free. The problem wound up being that one of the 4 O2 sensors has gone bad. Unfortunately, it's probably the hardest to access of the 4, but at least the replacement part was not terribly expensive. I also changed my air filter for the first time (not the first time it's been changed, but the first time I did it)! So, with my utter lack of knowledge of anything car-related, these were pretty major accomplishments for me.

I'm sure you've all already heard about the airplane crash into the water. I always assumed that the life rafts were a little stupid and that if your plane ever crashed, you weren't going to be alive enough to make your way into the raft. However, it would seem that an experienced pilot can actually put an airplane, with no engine power, down safely into the water. Fortunately, even though the plane was completely full, there were no fatalities and everyone made it out relatively unscathed.

For now though, it's time to get back to studying for the Med Ethics final tomorrow. I thought that med ethics would be quite the experience for me, since I have some pretty strong views on a few ethical issues. Fortunately, it turns out that my views on most of the issues are the proper views. At the least, they're the ones that are commonly accepted by the medical profession. Probably the most important thing I learned though is that people just love to sue doctors, so it's best just to consult your hospital's lawyer if you're not 100% sure.

No comments: