Friday, January 30, 2009

St. Maarten roads: 3, My tires: 0

pot_hole-774613.jpg 600×800 pixels.jpgSt. Maarten appears to be utterly incapable of fixing their roads. They sometimes fix potholes, but they open back up within a week or two. I'm beginning to think that it's a conspiracy to give the tire repair people more money. This is now the third time that they have taken out one of my tires. The first time, John was driving and went through a pothole that took out the tire and the rim. The second time, the entrance to my neighborhood ate my tire (the road is so bad that you can't avoid the rocks and holes). Today, on my way to the pharm review, the road again ate my tire. This time, it was a misalignment in the road that is also pretty much impossible to avoid. On the plus side, I am now a pro at changing my tire.

There is an upside to the story though. I took my tire to be repaired right away since the actual tire doesn't fit in the spare's spot and I don't want it in my car. They made the hole bigger, put some nasty brown semi-solid crap in the tire, and say that it should last a couple years. When I asked how much it would cost, he said "4." I fully expected that to mean $40, and thought that was a fair enough price. I asked if he took credit card and he said, "no, not for $4, this is not the states." I almost felt bad only giving him $4 to repair my tire, change the spare back out, and fill all the others with air. But, then I remembered the conspiracy that they have going to keep the roads in such bad condition, and I didn't feel bad anymore.

Note: For those wondering, that picture definitely was not taken by me, or in SXM! There are evergreen trees in the picture, but certainly no evergreen trees in SXM. If the road were lined by palm trees and oddly placed boulders, then I'd guess St. Maarten roads.

No comments: