Monday, March 24, 2008

Can someone tell me how this happened?

If you weren't reading the news a while back, you may not have read that pilots can now get approved to carry guns, just in case some crazy terrorist tries to break through the cockpit door. Well today, we get to see why this is not a good idea. Somehow, one of the guns managed to "accidentally fire," during the final approach of a US Airways flight. This leaves me with a couple of questions.

First, why did the pilot have his gun out of its holster during final approach? I suppose that he could have opened his window (yes, cockpit windows can open) and went hunting, but I would think that at that particular moment, he may have had better things to do. If he did not have the gun in his hand, why was it so poorly secured? And, how can they say that this was never a danger to the plane or the passengers? Is it not conceivable that the bullet could have fired through some very important avionics...or maybe the pilot's head? I don't know a lot about flying a plane or pilots having guns, but it seems like something is not being done properly. Who would have thought that the person I had to worry most about shooting me would be the pilot? Here's the link.

1 comment:

karenbo said...

Your blogs are quite interesting. You seem like an intelligent person. Why do you continually criticize people for thier religious faith? I'm one of those "crazy Catholics," although, FYI we're not the only ones who believe in the resurrection. As you move on in your medical career you will experiance many treatment failures and frustrations. Thier will be patients that you desperately want to get well, but they will not.Some of them will survive to your surprise and no thanks to medical science. In fact, you'll probably kill a few. Medicine has its' limitations. Your patients WILL turn to thier GOD. I hope that you do not belittle them with that condescending attitude. I am a nurse who has worked in pediatric oncology. I can tell you that in the end of life, religion is important to EVERY family I worked with. How can you support these people when you have such little respect for them? When you are diagnosed with often fatal diseases like I myself have been (dxs.with Sle, Pulm hyperten, myositis and vasculitis),you may understand that medical science can only do so much. Thankfully I have a COMPASSIONATE rheumatologist(a prof at UPMC)who often ends our visit telling me she will pray for me. I recently accompanied my husband to a visit to the CHIEF of NEUROSURGERY at UPMC, his parting words were, "God Bless You." We took much comfort from these words. Do you think these esteemed faculty members at this prestigious med school are stupid? You have alot to learn. Witholding medical care from a child for religious reasons is wrong and extreem.
I wish you continued success. Please try to respect the religious views of your patients.