Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Scott - 1, Block exams - 0

We got the results back today and mine were very good!! I wound up honoring MCB and histo, and was one question away from honoring anatomy (89%). I'm kinda pissed because I definitely made some stupid mistakes on the anatomy written. One in particular, I even knew the answer...but I debated whether it was the obvious answer and a trick, or the answer that I thought was right. I stupidly decided to go with the answer that fell right into their trick (which is sort of a BS thing for them to do) and got that one wrong, instead of going with what I knew was right. Oh well...I still did very well for the first exam (from what I hear, only 9 others honored MCB for this exam) and I'm off to a very good start in honoring all 3 classes!

So what did I do to study? I think the biggest thing was that I studied on my own! Everyone seems to study in groups, and that just seems like a huge waste of time to me. I tried the group thing one day last week and realized in the first 5 minutes that I could learn it a lot faster on my own. I think groups may be valuable for testing yourself after you study, but they just slow you down when you're actually studying. Personally, I don't even see the need to have anyone test you after you study. You either know it or you don't and it should be pretty obvious which is the case for you.

Someone said that I did well because I study all the time. This is not the case at all though. I took a couple of days almost completely off from studying and I usually study somewhere around 5 hours a day. Sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less.

7 comments:

Trixie the Pixie said...

CONGRATS SCOTT!! That's so great to hear... Some people (me) don't always realize what the right way to study is yet... some people never figure it out (luckily not me)... so to whoever told you that you "study too much", well, that's entirely subjective. Whatever works, it works for you and everyone else has just gotta figure it out :-P

(PS. Don't ever change answers unless you KNOW you made a stupid mistake. I am the queen of answer changing, and I've lost a lot of Hs that way!!)

Scott said...

I think i'm finally starting to figure out how to study. Obviously, since I'm here, I hadn't quite figured it out in college! ;)

It's nice to be done with the first exam though and to know that the studying paid off. Now, I've just gotta keep it up. Something tells me it's not getting any easier.

McGillGrad said...

Good job! I agree about group studying. There is no point until you have finished, and then only when you have extra time (which we usually don't).

Focus is important and if you give a strong 4-5 hours a day then you will kick ass. You already go to class most of the day, so you don't need to study more than a few hours after to cement the info.

The important thing is to keep doing what you are doing. That is the key. I think people like you and I gain a little too much confidence in the initial success and take it easy later on...and that is where we get bitten on the ass.

Don't forget to review current info with the review material.

Scott said...

Good advice from the guy that hasn't started yet!! HAHA ;)

How're the preparations coming? See you in a few months...I'll be on the balcony clapping after your first exam!

Vince said...

Congrats, Scott.

It gets harder don't worry. Hehehehe.

Don't completely discount the group study thing. I wasn't a big group study guy but there is certainly a benefit to reviewing material with a small group 2-3 other people. Maybe not so much in 1st semester when it is still mostly fact memorizing but when you start learning conceptual stuff it pays to review it with others. If you can explain it to someone so they understand it then you are sure you truly know it.

Not to mention I have gleaned a few "minor" facts that I subconsciously must have discounted and upon reviewing with a couple others gave myself a few questions right on exams that I otherwise would not have.

I'm just saying.

McGillGrad said...

Everything seems to be in order, except the secondary financing seems to be elusive at this point. Apparently, medical school outside of Canada make people look at me like a confused dog and refuse me a medical school line of credit even though I have excellent credit.

I started a blog, too, and linked your blog to it. I'll send you the link soon enough.

Kwasi said...

Hello Scott,

I happened on your blog looking for dentists in St. Maaten. Random, I know.

Now, after reading to this point, I feel more comfortable about coming to AUC. And... wait for it... I'll also be starting a blog to monitor my life in St. Maatens and in AUC, to help other that will soon be in my shoes.

I will have some questions for you eventually. I hope you will take the time to answer them.

-Kwasi