Wednesday, November 14, 2007

House...not just a tv show


Although I already knew it was a great show, House has now become a sort of additional motivation to study more! Watching it today, I realized that I'm actually starting to know what they're talking about! Certainly, I don't know a lot of it and I couldn't diagnose most of the patients (yet), but I do at understand a lot of the logic.

The most recent episode had a 16 year old boy with a severe midline facial deformity. Of course, being House, there was something else wrong. As it winds up, it was just Lyme disease. But, since we're just finishing up embryo, I was thinking that if he has a facial deformity, he likely has a cardiac deformity. One of the doctors on House thought the same thing!

So, at this point, I'm basically like the doctor with the wrong diagnosis. Not quite ready to be the primary doc yet, but at least I had an idea, even if it was the wrong one! Almost one semester down and I can already diagnose poorly...just imagine in 4 more ;)

P.S. - Some people think stem cell research is a bad thing because you're killing a potential human life, and all life is special. They believe, somehow, that the "life" of something that can hardly be considered human is more valuable than the lives of people who are already very much alive and suffering. In their attempts to convince children (or sometimes even adults) that stem cell research (or abortion, or whatever) is bad, they'll even go so far as to try to say that an embryo looks like a tiny little miniature person. Just to add a little educational material to this post, I've included what an embryo really looks like. I do know what these structures are and what they'll eventually become...but do you? Not very human looking, is it? You don't see a brain to process any sort of thought or pain? That's probably because there isn't one!

1 comment:

Trixie the Pixie said...

Just wait until about halfway through 3rd semester... House gets even more interesting! And you understand at least 80% if not more of everything they are talking about. It's fantastic... I was pretty excited when I got a diagnosis right, all by myself! :)