Thursday, November 8, 2007

GET BACK TO WORK!!!

Alright hollywood writers, you had your fun, caused a disturbance, now GET BACK TO WORK!! Unions have gotten totally out of hand and it is beyond me why corporations have continued to allow their existence. I'll make this very simple...those people in unions are employees of a company; employees work for the company, the company does not work for you. You do not get to set the terms or decide how much you get paid. If they allow you some room to negotiate because they value your work, then congratulations, you're a good employee. But, they certainly don't have to negotiate anything (or at least they shouldn't). Just as they have the right to not pay you more than they want to, you have the right to quit if you don't like it, and find yourself a better job.

The writers are striking because they feel they deserve more money from the sale of online or other digital content. Well sorry for you, writers, but you don't. Yes, you provide a very good service, but like any other employee, you are replaceable. Yes, media is going in a new direction now and there is plenty of money to be made. But, your job hasn't changed at all, so why should your salary? Would it be nice if the studios decided to give you more money since they're doing so well? Sure! But do they have to? Certainly not! And the only thing that bothers me about this whole situation is that the networks haven't fired you yet! If any employee outside of a union decides not to show up for work for whatever reason, they get fired. Plain and simple. Unionized workers should be no different. Even without the union, you'd probably still do your job, because you like what you do. And if you wouldn't, there are no shortage of other people lining up to take your job!

I used to be in the firefighters union when I worked in Baltimore City. I joined the union because it was the thing to do and it was available. I also liked the sticker and license plate you got out of it. They did negotiate raises and better benefits, which was nice, but I would have worked for the fire department regardless. I wanted to work as a paramedic and that was really all that mattered. Union or not, I would have been happy to have the job. Fortunately for the citizens of Baltimore City, we were not allowed to strike as we were essential employees (like police officers and some others). However, I wouldn't have gone on strike anyway! I liked my job and you certainly don't go into the fire department expecting to get rich! Really...did anyone reading this take a job just because they had a union, or did you really just want the job?

Unfortunately, corporations have allowed unions to continue to exist, and put up with their garbage when they decide they need more benefits or money. Please don't think I'm advocating for companies to ignore their employees and not reward them for their hard work. It is in the companies best interests to provide good benefits and a good work environment, as this makes happy, more productive employees. Making your employees happy is important. However, at the end of the day, they are still employees of a company and do not get to set the rules. Like I said already, if you don't like the job, you're free to leave and find a new one. But as long as you are employed by a company, you are not in control.

Since I'm in med school, lets relate this to a physician. Just as you need writers to make shows (which is probably why they think they can demand whatever they want), you need physicians to make people better. If the physicians all decided one day that they weren't making enough money and went on strike, lots of people would die. Clearly, they're important to keep around (much more important than some screen writers). However, while they usually make decent money, they don't always make what they'd like. Fields go in and out of popularity, and salaries change. A super competitive specialty one year may be undesirably the next, that's just the way things work. But, the doctors stick around, because they usually love what they're doing. I will be a physician in a few years and while it would be great if I could make more money (because after all, all physicians are essential and save lives), I'm not gonna walk out because I don't get exactly what I want. And if I did decide to leave, there is certainly no shortage of qualified people just begging to get into medical school to take my place.

So, writers, if you really love what you do, get back to work. We love the work you do too and want to see more of it. But, if you don't want to do your job and are going to let your greed get the best of you, then I would love to see you thrown out on your ass and replaced.

No comments: