Wednesday, August 1, 2007

School's approaching

It's finally August..the month I leave for medical school! 25 days from today until I arrive in St. Maarten. I'm really excited finally get started on the way to becoming a doctor! But, there's still a lot to do before I go...mostly figuring out what I'm going to take there and how i'm going to get it there.

I ordered my books two days ago, some of them were on AUC's list, some were not. To figure out which books to buy, I talked to my orientation advisor and took some of the advice from the current students on ValueMD. ValueMD has a bad habit of going off topic almost all the time on just any question that's asked. But, every once in a while, you actually get some useful information. I am not, however, waiting to buy my books on the island. I like new books and don't want books with anyone else's notes in them. I'd also rather not have to worry about finding someone to buy them from when I get there. So this is what I bought:
Netter's Clinical Anatomy
Netters Atlas of Human Anatomy
BRS Gross Anatomy
Langman's Medical Embryology
Histology, a Text and Atlas

Everything listed above was available from AUC's bookstore website. Some people said to buy the histology and embryology books, some said not to, so I just went ahead and bought them. In addition to those books, I bought Rohen's color atlas which has actual pictures of dissections and is supposed to be very useful as well as Lippincotts Biochemistry which is supposedly the most useful book for MCB. It was pretty much unanimous amongst current students that the recommended biochem book is useless and Lippincotts is definitely the way to go. I should have all the books by the end of the week. I had them shipped home because I'm just going to ship them in my car.

1 comment:

Trixie the Pixie said...

I used Rohen's religiously, along w/anatomy benchmarks. I'm not sure if you can get a hold of those anymore. You won't need the histo book, but the embryo one is really good. Also, Lippincotts + BBQs saved me in biochem.

Actually, now that I think about it, if you need it, I've got a ton of stuff I can pass on to you.

Looking out for a fellow Marylander,
-diana :-)