Wednesday, August 22, 2007

almost time!!

3 days left before I leave for medical school!! I am not excited to leave home, necessarily, but I am extremely excited to finally get to the island and get things started. The sooner I start, the sooner I finish! Pretty much everything is ready to go. After some customs issues with getting my car shipped, it should be shipping Friday. While it should have already been on the island by now, I will still only be picking it up a day or two late, so not a huge deal. I don't have that much to bring with me since I packed all the big stuff in my car. I say that now, but we'll see once I finally do pack everything up. I haven't heard much of anything from AUC lately, although the dean of admission did give me a call to check if everything was ok, so I guess there's not much more to do now than say goodbyes and get ready to leave.

Today, I renewed my ACLS certification and also got PALS certification. ACLS was very easy since I've taken it twice before, but I don't know why I never got around to taking PALS. I passed it with no problem but it was definitely harder than ACLS. Pretty much everything for ACLS is stuff you'd know just by being a paramedic (which I am), but PALS expects a bit more. For treatments, they wanted me to give a bunch of drugs that a paramedic would never give, like dobutamine and mannitol. So, I needed to do a little studying before I took the test. Fortunately, the stuff I use as a paramedic is usually enough to get you most of the way through a problem. In any case, I've got both now, current for the next two years. Maybe when I get into the upper semesters at AUC, I'll teach an EKG or phlebotomy class or something. I still can't believe you don't learn basic stuff like that in med school!

No comments: