Sunday, August 26, 2007

I've arrived!!!!

I got into St. Maarten yesterday (Saturday) at about 4:30, so about 1/2 hour late. The plane wound up stuck on the runway forever and the pilot did not feel the need to make up any time in the air. In any case, it was raining when we landed but quickly turned into a mostly beautiful evening.

At 7:00, Joel (the guy i'm staying with in the hotel) and I met about 30 other AUC students in the lobby of the hotel and went out for dinner and drinks. A ton of people showed up, which makes me very happy because my facebook group turned out to be a good idea! So far, it seems like I'm going to like most all of the other students, which will make my time on the island much more tolerable. We went to Bamboo Bernie's for dinner, where they had delicious sushi and good drinks, and then went to the Sunset Beach Bar.

We spent most of the night at the bar and had a great time. Lots of music, dancing, and drinking. All in all, a good night. Today, we spent a little time exploring the island and I got my first look at the dorms. My room is very nice with an amazing view, but it needs a little work. Pictures of the island and my room are coming soon. My parents just brought my camera with them today.