Friday, July 27, 2007

YAY for more RAM


Just got the shipment from Crucial today and I am now the owner of an extra GB of RAM. I am currently in my dad's shop where I have just installed the RAM. Since I used to work for Apple and install customer's RAM all the time, i suppose I am a bit biased, but I really cannot imagine a much easier process...pop out the battery, take out three screws, push the RAM into its slot, replace the screws, replace the battery, turn on and make sure it recognized.

Of course, you do need a tiny little screw driver, but fortunately my dad is a bit crazy when it comes to tools and owns just about every tool imaginable. I used to actually know what size the screws were, but now I just use whatever fits. I'm not really sure yet if the computer's really any faster, but I suppose I'll find out when I use Photoshop or Lightroom next time.

On a similar note, if you've ever got a choice between FedEx and UPS...use FedEx!!! FedEx seems to be faster in almost every situation, for one particular reason...they get it to you as fast as they can. I recently sold my iMac on eBay and shipped it via 3 day express (the cheapest option available). However, it arrived there very early on the second day. I have had this happen to me on multiple occasions, where the package arrives a day or two before it's supposed to.

UPS, on the other hand, will do whatever they can to make sure you don't get your package before it's supposed to be delivered. It is absoultely maddening sometimes, being impatient as I am. I have actually seen a package sit in a UPS warehouse for 2 or 3 days, doing nothing, just to make sure it doesn't arrive before it's supposed to. For this reason, i will never again use UPS, and I recommend that you don't either.

My last bit of advice...DO NOT BUY APPLE RAM!!! Not because it is not good RAM (it's actually very high quality and I've never seen it returned), but it's horribly overpriced! Apple charges $300 for 1GB of RAM! Yes...you read that correctly, $300!! They charge $100 for 512mb. How they come up with that pricing scheme or how I managed to convince so many customers to pay those outrageous prices is beyond me.

Instead, I went over to Crucial and ordered 1GB for $54!! This is almost half the price of buying just 512mb from Apple and far cheaper than 1GB. Further, the process of choosing the correct RAM could not be simpler and it is guaranteed to be compatible with your computer. For what they charge, the upgrade is definitely worth it.

No comments: