Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Update

There's really not that much going on, but I thought I'd write a blog post anyway, so I didn't go too long without posting anything. Unfortunately, couldn't think of a good title. So...things that are happening here in SXM...

We're doing neuro in path, which is pretty interesting. Unfortunately, they had the [not so smart] idea to give us neuro path before we've had any neuro anatomy! It makes it a little harder, but I'm sure I'll make it through fine. We're doing respiratory physio right now. The stuff we're doing now, including gas exchange and ventilation, is very dense. If people didn't get the fact that you need to understand physio and can't memorize it after first semester, they're definitely going to get it this block! Med micro is same as usual...learning more bugs. Currently, we're doing the respiratory bugs.

Heather's parents are coming to St. Maarten on a cruise this Thursday, so I'll probably spend a couple hours with them, showing them around. Her mom is obsessed with castles, apparently, and thinks that Ft. Louis is a caste. I tried to tell her that it's not, but she wants to go there anyway. So, that's easy enough to do. Somewhere in an oldish post, there is a picture of me sitting on top of the fort.

I'm also an Orientation Advisor again this semester. For some reason, even though there were only like 20 or so of us last semester, there are about 50 this semester! I think that's way too many, but it is what it is. It is definitely nice that so many people are interested in helping out, but it remains to be seen how many of them actually put the time into it that they should. I was fortunate and got a very helpful OA for my first semester. I try to be even more helpful to my students. Since there are so many of us this semester though, I only have 3 right now. One is actually a friend from the firehouse, and the other two are both also from MD. Last semester there were no students from MD. This semester, there are 3 (as of now).

Finally, Saturday is Wine and Cheese, the Phi Chi event that most of the students and faculty look forward to every other semester. It is a formal event, with great food and lots of wine. This will be my first time going, but I've heard nothing but good things. It's at Dr. Atchley's house, which is probably the nicest faculty house on the island. She has a pretty large house with a hot tub, infinity pool, and lots of privacy. I'm very jealous. Anyway, I'm the official photographer, so there will be lots of pictures when it's over.

Now back to studying. On the agenda for tonight: rhinovirus, coronavirus, adenovirus, GAS, moraxella, influenza, and RSV.

1 comment:

Trixie the Pixie said...

Is Dr. G still coming down to teach respiratory phys? He is the man. One of the best phys profs, IMO. Also, Wine and Cheese is a great event! I went to two of them while I was on the island, and they were a lot of fun.