Monday, June 2, 2008

AUC gets cleaned up

I'm not sure if I'm sad to see all of the horrifically tacky decorations go, or glad to see them go. I think I'm glad to see them go, since they were somewhat of an embarrassment. But, they were part of what made AUC, AUC. They were always good for a laugh. One of the many decorations which were removed were a couple of gold spray painted steering wheel covers. Literally, steering wheel covers. You can't make that stuff up! While some of the decorations remain (I suppose they didn't want totally bare walls), it has been very much toned down. Now, the decorations may look a little cheap, or a little tacky, but nothing that you'd really pay attention to. Whereas before, you walked in to the Rotunda and sort of had a little "what the hell am I looking at, is this for real" moment. They also put a fresh coat of paint on the walls, which make things look a lot nicer. This, combined with last semester's power washing of the exterior, is really making AUC look a lot nicer.

Unfortunately, I don't have any "before" pictures of the Rotunda, but you can take a look at my gym post from a month or so ago to get an idea of what they were like.

IMG_0107.jpg

1 comment:

Mrs A said...

WOW! No temple doors for the registrar or housing office? They must have angered the gods big time. At least they can still go out into the rotunda and stand in awe in front of the shrine to Uncle T. It's hard to imagine AUC without it's impressively tacky steering wheel covers. You know even if they threw them in the dumpster someone got them out. I'm sure somewhere in Simpson Bay there's a Haitian cleaning lady driving a hyundai with a gold steering wheel.

-la sha