Tuesday, October 9, 2007

2/5 done!

As of yesterday, I'm 2/5 of the way done with 1st semester!! Yes, there is still a very long way to go, but at least we won't have anatomy lab anymore after this semester!! If I haven't already mentioned it, we did get our cadavers (finally)! Unfortunately, there are only 9 of them, and there are 170 people in the class! So, although we do have some, it's not nearly enough. There are going to be HUGE groups of people cutting on them! It could be worse though. Some US schools don't do cadaveric dissections at all. And, SGU (another one of the good caribbean schools) has upwards of 400 people in their first semester class, but only 8 bodies!! So, no matter how bad you've got it, someone always has it worse! The other two lab groups had lab today, so they've begun the dissections. I think this is kind of unfortunate since I honestly do not trust many other people to do a great job. I guess we'll see tomorrow how they did with the first cut.

So about the block... Well, it was definitely harder than the first block! I still managed to do well, but not quite as good in anatomy and histo as last time. But, I am still definitely in the range where I could honor all of the classes, just have to see how the rest of the exams go. Supposedly, head and neck (the last block) was the hardest block of anatomy. If this is true, then I should be just fine! The histology exam was ridiculous! He tested us on the smallest details that he barely even covered in lecture. It was really pretty ridiculous! Especially because we haven't had this professor before, so we had no idea how he'd test. Basically, it was not a test of concepts, it was a test of minutia. Given the ridiculousness of the test, I'm pretty happy with how I did. And, now I know how to study for the next one, so it should go much better.

Last night was an after-block party at Sunset Beach Bar, which is one of my favorite bars on the island. They had half price drinks, which was pretty great considering drinks are already cheap there. I won't get into all the details, but if we weren't getting our grades today, i would have had a lot of difficulty getting out of bed! Today was not one of my better days! But, last night was still a lot of fun, so I suppose it was worth it....once in a while. I hadn't been out since schools started, so i think I deserved it! Well...off to the second floor laundry room to put my stuff in the dryer, since none of the machines on the 3rd floor work! Man, I love St. Maarten!

No comments: