Sunday, June 20, 2010

Saturday call sucks!

Title pretty much says it all...what a waste of a day. When you have Saturday overnight call, you basically lose your whole weekend. You work all day saturday, get off Sunday, and then have to either sleep or be tired. The worst part is that I did basically nothing all day yesterday. There's just no reason for students to ever have to do overnight call on Saturday. The only reason some places make you do it is because that's how it's always been. Well, to me, that's just not a good enough reason. Mark my words...when I'm a resident, unless I'm absolutely not allowed to, I will be sending my students home early on nights and weekend. So many places seem to forget that we're students, who are paying to be there to learn medicine....not little scut monkey slaves to just stand around and wait for menial tasks to be thrown our way.

Fortunately though, as I'm less than 2 weeks away from being done 3rd year, I'll hopefully not have to do another Saturday call until I'm a resident! I do have call next Sunday, but at least you get Monday off. If I haven't already mentioned it, being a third year students sucks. If you're just about to start it, be prepared for lots of scut work, and lots of watching other people do things.

I sound bitter...I should get some rest!

1 comment:

Dr. J said...

"2 weeks away from being done 3rd year"...lucky you...im still in my second year..im anxious to start clinicals...may bcz im tired of the classroom setting