Sunday, June 13, 2010

Safari Reader

I just want to take a second to highlight a new feature in Apple's Safari browser, which I've quickly become a big fan....Safari Reader.  If you haven't yet downloaded Safari 5, you should do it right away (available from software update, under the apple menu).  It has other big features, such as finally enabling browser extensions, but Reader is my favorite.  The best way to explain Reader is to illustrate it.  In short, it turns this mess:

Obama to address nation on oil disaster Tuesday night - CNN.com.jpg

into this:

Dock.jpg

 

When you click the reader button, Safari strips out the all the ads, headers, and other garbage, and presents you with the article, without any other distractions.  CNN is actually not too awful, but some other sites are far worse.  Ads may be necessary, but I hate them, and I love that I can now have them instantly stripped from whatever I'm reading.  So, once again, thanks Apple, for making my life just a little more pleasant.  Now, if you could just drop AT&T....

No comments: