Friday, June 11, 2010

getting closer

...to being done 3rd year, and it really can't come to soon!  I am developing a sever case of 3rd year senioritis, and I am beginning to get a little bitter.  I am totally over the 3rd year student role in the OR, particularly!  I hate standing around watching for hours on end, doing nearly nothing but some suctioning, retracting, and cutting suture.  Today, it took everything I had to keep my mouth shut, and it's a good thing that I only have 1 week in the OR left, because that's about all I can stand.  I'm gonna tell you the story, because I need to vent!

The surgeon I was with today does things a little differently.  Actually, lots of surgeons do things different, because they're surgeons, and I think they just like that they can do things however they want.  But, back on topic....this guy likes to have two Bovies and two suctions set up (one for him, one for the resident).  Since attendings rarely pick up a suction (they prefer to point to things they want me to suction), his is essentially mine.  So anyway, he was tying something off, I had my suction tip right next to his instruments, and he said, "suction."  Being a good little med student, I tried to suction.  He then barked at me, "not you!  Him!  He's my assistant, not you!"  Well excuse me, I didn't know that after suctioning for half the case, only the resident was allowed to suction the tiny blood vessel you cut!  At this point, I wanted to just cross my arms and not do another damn thing, since the resident is his assistant...not me.  It's sad that I actually still get a little excited when they let me suture...something that most doctors don't even want to be in the room for.  I still am not sure how I managed to keep my mouth shut through 3 months of similar stories in my surgery core.  I guess I'm gaining a new skill.  But, like I said, I'm very glad that there's only one week of it left!

Now, I need to eat something.  Preferably meat.  I really would like to gnaw on a steak!

1 comment:

Beach Bum said...

I am so glad I did my surgery rotation in the UK!