Tuesday, November 17, 2009

last Tuesday in London!

Sorry I've been gone for a bit (again), but I was away all weekend, and then had to buy more internet access. Have I mentioned that I hate the internet in the UK? Anyway...I was in Amsterdam this past weekend and that city is amazing! It's very pretty, has lots of neat sights to visit, and the red light district is insane. Pretty much everything is legal there...it has to be the easiest place in the world to be a cop. Unfortunately, I didn't bring my camera with me, so I only got iPhone pics. I did not expect the city to be as pretty as it was, I didn't want to carry around the extra weight, and the weather was supposed to suck both days that I was there. Turns out that it mostly rained at night, and was pretty nice during the day, especially on Saturday. Oh well, the memories will remain in my head, just not shared on flickr this time. I will definitely be bringing my camera to Rome next weekend though!!

This week (my last week in the UK), I'm spending my time in the NICU. Today was probably the best day of the whole rotation. I'm following around the resident who gets all the pages for the high risk deliveries. Today, I saw my first c-section delivery. And then, I saw three more, including one emergency c-section on a 29 week old premature baby. For those who don't know, 40 weeks is full term, and 28 weeks is extremely premature, almost always requiring life support. Anything less than 26 weeks, probably not viable. So, 29 weeks is pretty darn small! It amazed me how fast the baby gets out in a c-section! The whole operation takes about a half hour or so, but almost all of that is closing the mother back up. From the time they make the first incision to the time they have the baby out is probably less than 5 minutes. In the emergency c-section on the 29 week old today, the baby was out probably less than 30 seconds after the first incision! Fortunately, the neonatal team was able to resuscitate the baby quickly, and it appears to be doing well now. I was very excited to finally be spending some time in the OR! It was pretty obvious to the neonatal resident that I really liked watching the surgery, so she let me watch them for most of all 4 c-sections. I really cannot wait to get to my surgery rotation. But, even more than that, i can't wait to get back home Monday!!!!!

No comments: