Wednesday, November 18, 2009

almost time to go!

As happened in psych, I'm finally starting to feel comfortable in a rotation and finally feel like I know what I'm doing, and it's just about time for me to leave! At this point, I feel like I could see most pediatric patients and have some idea what's going on, and how to treat it. But, I can't say that I'm sad that it's almost over either. I've been ready to get back home for a while now. And, since my next couple rotations are twice the length of my previous two, I should have plenty of time to remain in the rotation, even after I'm finally comfortable.

For the moment, I'm just focusing on the fact that I only have two days left of peds, and they'll probably be pretty short days! Today was a half day, since the UK students are always off half day to go play sports. I was helping out one of the docs in the NICU though, so I stayed until around 1. However, that apparently made me an overachiever. Only 4 or 5 other students (out of about 15 total) decided to show up today. The work ethic amongst med students in the UK is much different than in the US, and you can get away with just about anything here. I guess that since the attending was at another hospital and there was no scheduled teaching, they just didn't feel like coming. I'm hoping the fact that I always show up is reflected in my evaluation!

No comments: