Thursday, October 29, 2009

sorry for the neglect, blog

Sometimes, I just stop blogging. I'm not sure why I do it. But, I'm sorry anyway, and I'll try to keep it up again!

Anyways...where to start?

I'm now just about done my first week at Queen's hospital, and I am liking it a lot better than KGH! Largely because I can now easily walk to work, but also because I like the rotation better at Queens. I feel like I've learned more in the past week than I learned in two weeks at KGH. Queens has more patients and sicker patients. And, I haven't even started clinics or been to the NICU yet! People doing clinics seem to like that, so I'll see how it goes next week. I'm really hoping that the attending will let me stay at Queens for the rest of my time here.

Last weekend, i visited Bath, Stonehenge, and Windsor Castle. I took the tour with Evan Evans Tours, and it was a very good experience. Wound up being another beautiful day for sightseeing, with sunny skies and cool (but not cold) temps. Windsor Castle was as impressive as I would have imagined (for a royal castle, still regularly in use), Stonehenge was larger than I pictured it, and Bath was just a beautiful city. I wish we had more time to walk around Bath, but it was a long day and we had to get going after about an hour and a half. You can't get very close to stonehenge, but it actually makes for better pictures, since there aren't tourists trying to hug the rocks. There is only one night per year (I think the summer solstice), that they actually let people go up to the rocks. But, you're plenty close for pictures. Unfortunately, internet here largely sucks. For some reason unbeknownst to me, the companies seem to consider 3GB per month fair "unlimited" internet use. Well, it's not, at all. Because of the insane cost of bandwidth, I can't upload all of my pics to Flickr. So, unfortunately, my blog will have to remain uncharacteristically black and white until I return home. However, have uploaded many of the pictures to facebook, since that uses up less bandwidth.

This weekend, I don't have any plans yet. But, I have planned a trip to Paris for next weekend. Although I knew it was a bad idea, I tried to be nice and wait for another person to get their schedule before making plans. Because of that, by the time I knew what was going on, the prices had jumped up for this weekend, as I knew they would! But, I guess it's not awful to save a little money and sleep in for one weekend. Maybe I'll head to cambridge or oxford for a day trip.

As an aside, I'm REALLY missing good sushi, good mexican, and good meat (for reasonable prices). I can't wait to get back to US food and internet!

4 comments:

Trixie the Pixie said...

I've been doing the same thing -- blog neglect. And I was so good for a while! I'm making up for it by posting too much. Mostly because I have pretty much nothing to do. That's sad!

Unknown said...

Nice to see you're missing me! We'll see who treats you to sushi, mexican, and meat when you get home!

bambi said...

It's funny you think our food is worse. We tend to think the same about yours. Oh in case you never figured it out, Taco Bell doesn't exist in the UK.

Scott said...

Yeah, I figured the Taco Bell thing out eventually. Wish you told me that a few months ago!