Monday, October 19, 2009

A bit of a slow down

Unfortunately, I have not really seen anything exciting in peds since the last week. Part of this is likely due to the fact that for some reason unbeknownst to me, we have to rotate at King George's hospital for part of the time. Unlike Queen's, King Georges doesn't have any peds or neonatal intensive care, so all the really sick kids are elsewhere. There is nothing at King George that isn't at Queens, but lots at Queens that isn't at King Georges, so I really can't wait until this week ends and we switch hospitals. Not to mention the fact that you need to get up about 45 minutes earlier to commute to King Georges.

Today, we had three teaching sessions. They were all pretty good, but the doctors really like to start late. Kind of inconsiderate in my opinion, especially when we have other things scheduled to do, but maybe that's just the status quo. Since this is only my second rotation, and only rotation in the UK, I really don't know what's normal. So, I just keep quiet and do what they say. This strategy worked well in my last rotation and got me a great eval, so hopefully it will work again. I know...me keeping quiet...hard to believe. But, at the moment, my grades, and very possibly my future residency placement, depends on it.

Over the weekend, I went to Madrid, with Josh and Song. It's a beautiful city, but I was pretty sick on Saturday, which made it much more difficult to really enjoy. I tried some paella and sangria, but could hardly eat any of it. However, it was definitely the best sangria I've had in my life! When I get back to the US, I'm going to be in search of somewhere that can come close. At some point, I'll upload all the pictures I took. Hopefully, even though I was pretty miserable walking around, the pictures will make me remember it in a better light. At least if I was going to be sick, it turned out to be an absolutely perfect day for walking around, with temps around 65-70 and not a cloud in the sky. The only problem with Madrid is that either no one speaks English, or no one will admit to speaking English (I suspect the latter). This made it more difficult to get around and impossible to argue with the thief of a taxi driver we wound up with.

At the moment, I'm slowly trying to recover from whatever virus is currently attacking me. Good news - it appears my immune system is starting to kick some ass. I now am pretty hoarse and cough a lot, but I'm feeling much better than I did Saturday. I bought some dextromethorphan for the cough, so hopefully that will help.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

should have called your Spanish-speaking girlfriend!

Scott said...

If it wouldn't have cost about $2 per minute, I would have.