Saturday, October 3, 2009

DO NOT MOVE EMERGENCY VEHICLES!!!

Today, I'm going to share with you one of my greatest pet-peeves in the world. Occasionally when I'm driving the medic unit or some other emergency vehicle, some dim wit will walk up to me and ask me to move the emergency vehicle because it's blocking their car, road, or whatever. If you're one of these people, please allow me to save you some time...NO, I will not move the emergency vehicle for your convenience.

The thing is, I probably parked it there for a reason. If I'm driving the ambulance, I probably parked it in a place where I will have best access to the side compartments and the back for loading the patient. It's also very possible that I intentionally blocked traffic to protect myself, the rest of the crew, and the patient from cars passing us. If you haven't noticed, people tend to not do their best driving when they're trying to simultaneously view an accident scene; pretty flashing lights are just sometimes distracting.

If you see my ambulance somewhere with the lights on, and I'm blocking your way, please consider that someone has called 911 and needs help! Your ability to get out of a parking space, or continue on that road, is at the very bottom of my list of priorities. In fact, it's not even on my list of priorities. But one day, when you inevitably call 911, you'll appreciate that the paramedic is more worried about you than the people who want to get out of their parking spots.

One last thing...whatever you do, don't get in the emergency vehicle and move it yourself!! This is called "unauthorized use" and will buy you a ticket. Someone at UMBC is about to find that out.

1 comment:

tegraphile said...

Nice blog, I'll have to check it out more often.