Sunday, August 2, 2009

Sorry about that...

Yeah, I know I've been a bum, and been gone a while. But, I just didn't know how much people would want to hear about my vacation time! And then, after not posting in a while, I didn't really know where to start again. So, maybe just a quick update:

I've started working with my primary care physician, which has been a pretty good experience. I only work with him a couple days a week, but it's nice to start getting a little experience before clinicals really begin. Much to my surprise, I actually remember a lot of what I learned in medical school, can usually diagnose what's wrong, and usually know the appropriate treatment. However, it's been helpful to see when the doctor actually prescribes certain medications, and how they choose one over another. I've also gotten to see the real life presentation of many diseases I never thought I'd see. In just one day, I saw lots of a-fib, CHF, a carotid stenosis and carotid ultrasound, lyme disease, MRSA, Stevens Johnson, ITP, and PMR. I also learned how to do a cardiac echo and stress test. The patients have all been very helpful so far and only one person so far didn't want to see a medical student before the doctor. And, even with that person, it was only because they wanted to talk about one particularly embarrassing complaint.

I've also spent some time at the firehouse, and actually got a few good calls! I went almost 2 years without a good call (although most of it was because I was in another country, and not riding the ambulance). This past week, however, I had a cardiac arrest, trauma arrest, a trip to shock trauma, and my first adult IO insertion. I also got re-certified in ACLS and PALS, which is pretty standard fare for a medic, but apparently helpful in residency interviews. It still surprises me that almost no medical students get ACLS until they begin residency. It really seems like pretty basic stuff that all 3rd or 4th year students should know, but maybe that's just because I've been doing it for a long time.

Friday, I'm leaving for a week long vacation with Heather, to Orlando for a couple days, and then on a cruise! I'm excited to spend the week with her, playing with dolphins, riding around on segways, eating a ton of good food, and having pretty much nothing to worry about. I'm also looking forward to beginning clinicals at the end of the month, but still definitely enjoying vacation. Especially since this is the last meaningful vacation I'm going to get for a couple years!

Today, another long day of doing nothing ahead of me. It's very rough....

P.S. - still no USMLE scores. However, I'm expecting them this Wednesday.

4 comments:

I did something stupid said...

Scott, relax.

Enjoy your vacation.

Your posts helped me a lot.

Trixie the Pixie said...

Carotid stenosis? Is it greater than 60%? Endarterectomy, yes please!!!!! :)

Hope you're having a good weekend!

Unknown said...

I'm sure it's wishful thinking on your part, but we don't leave until Saturday =)

Scott said...

I believe it was right around 60%. But, unfortunately for you, there was not a significant drop in flow, so the doc said it wasn't a candidate for surgery.