Monday, August 31, 2009

First Day of Clinicals!!

Today was my first official day of the 3rd year of medical school. For the next 6 weeks, I'll be spending my time at Spring Grove, in my psych rotation. Fortunately, we do not work nights, weekends, or holidays, which is very nice for a med school rotation. So far, everyone seems friendly, but I only met my attending for about 2 minutes, and he's the guy I'll be working closely with for the next month and a half.

To start the day, we spent a few hours going over the Orientation Manual and the general rules and regulations. We also took a tour with the Superintendent of the facility, which was pretty interesting. Spring Grove has been around for well over 100 years, so there is a ton of history to learn about the place. And, being a psych institution, it's pretty interesting history! One day, I'll have to take a camera around the place and get pictures of the old buildings.

Almost every student, including all the others from AUC, are in one of the admissions wards, where people usually come for short term care (although often not by choice). However, me and one other woman from Saba were the only two people to be placed somewhere else. From what the Superintendent told us, we will all see pretty much the exact same patients, but ours are the ones that are less responsive to medication and thus longer stay patients. I only saw the patients for probably 20 seconds today, in passing, but it sounds like it should be interesting! Hopefully many good stories to come.

No comments: