Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Microsoft Sucks

Seriously...why can't they get anything right. They finally released Office 2008, after way too much time in development, but they still didn't get it right. It's full of bugs, can't work with spaces (a pretty huge feature of OSX Leopard), has issues saving and converting, etc. etc. etc. Today though, they issued SP1, supposedly to fix a lot of the problems. Microsoft just wouldn't know what to do with themselves if they actually got something right the first time. But, forgetting how terrible they are at producing anything that works, I stupidly downloaded the update and installed it.

Of course, Office is now not working at all. After doing a quick search online, I found that I am not the only one with this problem, but there's no one with a solutions, yet. Most likely, I'll have to re-install office, from a disk that I no longer have. I should have known not to switch back to Microsoft Office. Looks like I'll being going back to Apple's iWork. It's slightly annoying since when I use Keynote to open a Powerpoint file, I eventually have to save it as a Keynote file. But, I guess that's a small price to pay to use a program that actually works right the first time, all the time.

Every once in a while, I am reminded why I love Apple so much and can't stand to use Microsoft products....because Microsoft just can't seem to get anything right. Their two largest recent products, Vista and Office, are both unnecessarily complicated to use, full of bugs, incompatible with many things that they should easily work well with, and just basically suck. It's really no wonder that even while the economy is supposedly awful, Apple continues to grow at over three times the pace of any other computer company, and consistently easily ranks far above any other computer company in customer satisfaction. Some people probably think that the Mac vs. PC advertising campaign that Apple is currently running is just a light-hearted joke. Unfortunately for PC users, they're dead on.

Update:Thanks to Apple's fantastic Time Machine application (included with their even more amazing operating system), I was able to get Office back to it's previously slow, bloated, but working state. Because of Apple's programmers, who make Microsoft programmers look like 1st grade students that are missing a chromosome, the whole process of restoring Office took about 3 mouse clicks and two minutes.

No comments: