Friday, November 21, 2008

Red Blood Cells...

red-blood-cells.jpgI was up a little too late a few nights ago, and being a little delirious (and having studied too much about blood), I decided that red blood cells are my favorite cells. Most people probably don't have a favorite cell, but now I do. There are a lot of reasons that I came up with to support my choice of a favorite cell. Admittedly, I was not entirely lucid when I came up with them, but they still make sense.

First, I like their color, which is obviously red (or at least mostly red, when they're carrying oxygen). But, that's another thing I like about them...they change color all the time. Other cells are usually the same boring color. Next, they get to travel everywhere. All the cells in your blood travel everywhere, but they're lacking the red color, so they get knocked out of the running. Why spend your entire day in the large intestine, when you can shoot around everywhere in the body?

I also like their shape. While many cells are pretty much square shaped, they're round, with a dimple in the center. They remind me of donuts, which are delicious. No other cell that I'm aware of reminds me of a delicious donut. They can also squeeze into different shapes to fit into places that they really shouldn't be able to fit.

Finally, RBCs don't have a nucleus, so they're kind of loners. They don't need to be like anyone else and have all the same boring DNA as the rest of your body. They did at one time, but they gave it up to do their own thing. They don't replicate, which I would think would be boring, but to each his own. Besides, replication is pretty overrated when you're forced to do it alone ;)

So, that's what I like red blood cells. Plus, they basically keep you alive, which is pretty cool of them.

1 comment:

Trixie the Pixie said...

Ahahaha. Haaaaa. I don't know why I found this incredibly entertaining, but I did. I still think macrophages are pretty bad-ass mofos. Then again, this is coming from the girl who, sleep-deprived and also delirious, held up a kidney in anatomy lab and declared it to be the cutest organ in the body...

Ummm... yeah.