Tuesday, March 9, 2010

a bunch of firsts

I wound up working long call (overnight) last night so that I could get off a little earlier on Thursday. Overall, it was exhausting, since I hadn't expected to be staying overnight and didn't really get enough sleep for it. But, it did turn out to be pretty worth while. First, I did my first arterial line. Later, I did my first solo lumbar puncture (and got it). And, just before I was preparing to leave this morning, we got two emergency appendectomies! They're kind of fast and not the most interesting surgery in the world, but they're interesting for the first (and second) time. And, I like any surgery where I at least get to suture at the end, and I did that at both of these. In between, I wrote a few progress notes. They're not the most exciting thing, but I still like having my notes actually included in the charts. Now though, it's time for bed! I'm beyond exhausted!

No comments: