Wednesday, March 3, 2010

A breath of fresh air

It's only been 3 days, but so far, I love surgery!! I do not love morning rounds or the lectures which seem to happen a bit too often, but the surgery makes up for it, and there's definitely plenty of surgery. On the first day, I scrubbed in on my first surgery; today, i scrubbed in on three. When I'm in the OR, time just seems to fly by. I could have probably left today around 4, but i wound up there until around 7, because I felt like going into another surgery. I have to be at the hospital, and we've already finished rounding, before most people wake up, but it just doesn't bother me. It may eventually, and I typically really like my sleep, but it doesn't now.

I love the process of scrubbing in and getting sterile, talking to the patients before they go to sleep, watching (eventually making) the first incision, helping out with the surgery, and then watching the patient wake up, all repaired. That's the short version of it, but I love it all. Yes...this is what I"m supposed to be doing.

P.S. - Today, I graduated from suturing animal parts and cadavers to suturing real live people :)

3 comments:

Trixie the Pixie said...

You can finally stop being jealous now! The ball is rolling :)

Scott said...

Ummm...pretty sure you match in like 2 weeks...still jealous!

Vince said...

Glad you are enjoying Surgery! If you are this enthusiastic come week 11 then you have got it licked! hehehe

BTW I found my lost blogging pen ;-)

...and it is only 9 days :-P