Thursday, August 28, 2008

Back to blogging, unexpected readers, and the truth about Shamu

Once again, sorry for the long delay. But, at least this time, I told you it was coming! Our breaks aren't very long, so i don't really have a lot of time to blog. Usually, I blog while procrastinating, so there is more than enough time! But, when I'm home, not so much.

Anyway, when I was in the SXM airport on the way home, I actually ran into one of my blog visitors! She's from Miami and apparently has no connection with AUC or the island (other than vacation), so I'm not entirely sure how she came across my blog, but it's always interesting to meet the people who read it. Especially when it's people that I'd least expect! I was yelling something out to one of my fellow classmates when she turned around and said "hey, I read your blog!" I suppose she recognized me from one of my pictures. Sunil and Paul may be happy to know that she also reads their blogs, although Sunil is gonna have to pick it up a little to keep her around ;)

This past Wednesday through Sunday were spent in San Diego with Heather and my family. We were actually supposed to go to the Orlando Sea World, but the hurricane changed our plans last minute. It wound up being a great change of plans; it was a lot of fun and the weather could not have been any nicer! If you haven't been to Sea World lately, Shamu has become very lame and the sea lions are probably the most entertaining show in the park!

This may be a bit like finding out that there's no Santa Clause, but there is also not really any Shamu...at least not anymore! The real Shamu died in 1971 and the name is now just a stage name for all of the orcas that perform in Shamu Stadium. If you pay attention to the trainers though, they tell you the whales' real names. As upsetting as this may be to some people, it is not nearly as upsetting as witnessing the "Shamu Slam." This is the name that the trainers have given to the trick where the whales use their tails to blanket the audience with 55 degree water. The trick is fine, but the song and dance that the trainers have made to go along with it is atrocious! Maybe the kids like it, but it mostly just made me want to put pencils in my eye every time they did it. Aside from that though, Sea World, and the rest of San Diego, was a great time. If you go to Sea World, definitely catch the nighttime sea lion show, where they make fun of the Shamu Slam, and every other show in the park (including their own day time show).
shamu-1a.jpg


OK, I promise, more frequent updates to come...

No comments: