Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Good news / Bad news

The good news is (for some of us) that we have a new Med Micro professor for the remainder of the semester. Some people, including myself, like his teaching style, and others apparently do not. Maybe one of the reasons that I like him so much is that he was a professor at the University of Maryland med school...the place that I would have loved to have attended, if I had any choice in the matter. The other huge reason that I like him is that he emphasizes the things that are clinically relevant, opposed to the tiny little details that nobody will ever remember after basic sciences, and that we will never use in practice. Although we haven't had a test from him yet, he told me that his emphasis is definitely on recognizing symptoms, determining what's probably wrong, and knowing what tests you'd have to order to confirm that, as well as necessary treatments. However, much of the class is used to Dr. Shupe's teaching style, and some people don't do well with change. To each his own, I suppose, but I'm happy.

thanksgiving-meal.jpgThe bad news is that the schedule for next semester has come out. Opposed to last fall semester, when we had two days off, and both were Fridays (giving us 3 day weekends, and an opportunity to fly home), both days this year are Tuesdays, which is mostly useless. The two holidays are St. Maarten Day and Antilles Day. Now, I do understand that the school is located in St. Maarten. But, I also understand that probably around 95% of the school is American, and most of the rest is Canadian. It would seem to make a lot more sense to me that we'd be given off for Thanksgiving, a holiday that almost every one of us celebrates, instead of two holidays that not a single one of us celebrates. I'll never complain about having a day off, but it would be nice if AUC gave us Thanksgiving off, or at least Fridays! Oddly enough, despite not giving us off for Thanksgiving, they did give us off for the 4th of July this semester. Odd....

2 comments:

Beach Bum said...

Canadians do celebrate Thanksgiving, but not way the hell at the end of November. We celebrate it in October, like God intended.

As for the Antillian holidays, as I understand it, the school has no choice, by law they cannot be open those two days.

Scott said...

I wasn't aware that god intended thanksgiving to occur on any particular day. However, since most of the school is American, thanksgiving off would be nice. I'm sure the Canadians among us wouldn't be upset about a long weekend either.

As far as the SXM holidays go, I've never heard that before. If that's the case, then that would explain the odd choice of days off. That's an interesting idea though...having the government force holidays upon you.